Hear from the Class of 2019 about their plans for college.
Students can graduate with a Regents or Advanced Regents Diploma and our school places special emphasis on completing the required coursework and tests to earn an Advanced Regents Diploma, based on the belief that students meeting this higher standard will be prepared to successfully enroll and pass entry-level college coursework. To receive an Advanced Regents Diploma, students must pass take and pass nine Regents exams: English, three Math, Global History, US History, two Science, and a language other than English. Over 90% of our students enroll in rigorous Advanced Placement (AP), Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA), or Honors courses. Students have the choice of 19 AP courses and 4 SUPA courses, which can earn them college credits, along with 13 honors courses.
College and Career Counseling
We provide a comprehensive college and career counseling department to ensure our students engage in enriching summer programming, develop individual career plans, are fully prepared for the SAT college entrance exam, and go on to enroll in a college or career opportunity that meets their interests, abilities, and financial needs. Students take part in a two-year College Readiness sequence, consisting of College and Career Readiness (CCR) or Foundations of Career Development (FOCD) in junior year and Senior College and Career Counseling (SCCC) in senior year. Through our coursework and counseling, we have seen amazing results:
- 95% of our students take the SAT, with over 100 points of growth on average from beginning to end of our College and Career Readiness course.
- Over 95% of our students matriculate to college, with over 50% earning spots in supportive and competitive Opportunity Programs, over 65% of our students enrolling in a college that is ranked as Competitive or higher, and over 65% receiving financial aid that fully covers the direct costs of their college.
- 90% of our students participate in at least one summer opportunity.
Visual and Performing Arts
We offer 24 different art electives in Visual Arts, Graphic Design, Music, Choir, Dance and Drama. We provide students with introductory, advanced and AP level courses. Our after-school programs offer choir, dance, spoken word, drama, step, visual arts, yearbook, Fall play, and Spring musical. Students can participate and perform in over 10 school productions, competitions, and outside performances throughout the school year.
KIPP NYC College Prep offers a robust athletics program and was the first charter school to compete in the Public School Athletic League (PSAL). We offer football, soccer, volleyball, cheerleading, basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball, rugby, track and lacrosse. We have 14 varsity programs and three junior varsity programs, for a total of 17 interscholastic sports teams. Additionally, we offer intramural flag football, basketball and kickball to give students the benefits of team support in a less competitive setting. Roughly 30% of our student body participates in our athletic program, and we recently won city championships in Football, Men’s Varsity Basketball, Men’s Varsity Baseball and Women’s Varsity Rugby. Our Cheerleading program has been ranked 8th and 9th in the country the two past seasons, respectively, in the non-tumbling varsity division.
KIPP NYC COLLEGE PREP HIGH SCHOOL
201 E. 144th St.,Bronx, NY 10451
- GRADES: 9-12
- OPENED: 2009
- PRINCIPAL: CARLOS CAPELLAN
201 E. 144th St.,
Bronx, NY 10451
P: (212) 991-2626
F: (347) 862-9679
For questions about visiting KIPP NYC College Prep, please contact Hugh Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org and 212-991-2626 ext. 7001.
If you are a College Admissions Representative interested in connecting with our students, we look forward to hearing from you! Please contact our Director of College Counseling, Rebekah Bambling at email@example.com and 212-991-2626 ext. 7617.
If you have career opportunities, internships, extracurricular or academic study programs to offer our students, we would like to learn more! Please contact our Director of Career Services, Jennifer Benn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CALENDAR & RESOURCES
- KIPP NYC College Prep Academic Calendar 2019-20
- Check your child’s academic record now on our Power Parent Portal
- 2019-20 Course Catalog
- Career & Summer Programs Guidebook 2020
- Family and Student Handbook
- Field Trip Permission Slip
- Working Papers Information
- Working Papers Application
- The Coordinator for Dignity for All Students Act is your School Social Worker.
- How can I report child abuse or mistreatment?