June 26, 2020 – We could not be more proud of how amazingly adaptable students and staff have been in adjusting to remote education these last several months. Thank you for all of your support to ensure that KIPPsters had a strong end to the school year!
Below you will find important information about our preparation for the 2020-21 school year, summer enrichment opportunities, and a listing of resources that are available to you and your family throughout the summer.
- August 2020 Start Date – We are currently preparing for students to return to our remote education platform on Monday, August 24, 2020 and anticipate having in-person school at some point later in the year. Our exact date of return to buildings will be coordinated with NYC DOE return dates. To learn more about how we are planning for the upcoming school year please visit https://www.kippnyc.org/news/.As we continue to develop these plans, we would like to incorporate your feedback regarding schedule preferences, use of masks and other PPE equipment, and arrival / dismissal times. Please visit https://www.kippnyc.org/parentsurvey/ to complete the parent survey by Friday July 3, 2020.
- 2020-2021 Calendar – Typically by now we would have released the calendar for the 2020-2021 school year. We do so after the NYC DOE has released their calendar so that we can coordinate holiday breaks and buildings schedules to the best of our ability in a way that will be convenient for families. As we know this is not a typical year. We anticipate releasing our KIPP NYC school year calendar within 30 days of when the NYC DOE releases their calendar.
- Students Starting Middle School – We are so excited for our KIPP NYC elementary school students to move up to our middle schools! We are planning to hold orientation events the week of August 17th that will allow you and your child to meet school staff and learn more about our middle school remote learning education platforms beginning on August 24th.
- Student Starting High School attending KIPP College Prep HS – We are planning to have optional in-person one day Orientations by middle school the week of August 17th and classes will begin remotely on August 24th. Further communication will be coming from KIPP NYC College Prep over the summer.
- Summer Enrichment Resources – In addition to the resources that may have been provided by your child’s school, here are some additional ways to keep them reading and growing their brains over the summer break! You can find additional free resources on our remote learning website (https://www.kippnyc.org/remote-learning/)
- For our youngest KIPPsters, we’ve prepared summer break work packets for current K-4 students. The activities assigned can be completed throughout the summer when convenient to families. KIPPsters can continue to log into platforms such as Amplify Reading, Epic! Free, and Zearn Math using their Clever badge.
- We encourage our KIPPsters in the upper grades (5-12) to take advantage of online platforms available offering free e-books (e.g. New York Public Library). They can also visit Newsela and MyOn through Clever to access a variety of texts.
- Summer 2020 Family Resources – Over the summer, KIPP NYC is committed to ensuring that our families have access to nutritious meals and other important resources – even when school is closed for the summer. KIPP NYC has crafted resources related to helping you access food, additional enrichment opportunities, and social/emotional resources can be found on our KIPP NYC 2020 Summer Family Resources Page.
- KIPP NYC Summer Food Pantry – Food pantries at all 4 locations will re-open Friday, July 3rd with new hours/dates for the rest of the summer. Please see this calendar for more information. English | Spanish
- If you would like to make a reservation to pick up groceries at any of the pick up locations, please complete this brief form to place your reservations for the entire summer.
Starting the week of July 20, 2020, we will provide you with bi-weekly updates via text message, email, social media, and phone calls about any important updates and actions you need to take. If you have any questions or require any immediate assistance please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for your resilience over the past few months and we look forward to continuing our partnership with you in your child’s education.
KIPP NYC Public Schools
KIPP NYC Public Schools