EMPIRE TEACHING FELLOWSBe part of the next generation of great teachers through an intensive one-year paid residency. As an aspiring educator, you'll spend a year at a KIPP NYC school while pursuing a master’s degree from Relay Graduate School of Education. APPLY NOW FOR 2019-20
EMPIRE TEACHING FELLOWSBe part of the next generation of great teachers through an intensive one-year paid residency. As an aspiring educator, you'll spend a year at a KIPP NYC school while pursuing a master’s degree from Relay Graduate School of Education. APPLY HERE
Learn From The Best
Want to enter the world’s greatest profession? Want to learn from high-performing teachers and earn a master’s degree simultaneously? If so, the Empire Fellows program is for you.
About The Empire Fellows Program
In conjunction with Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay GSE), the Empire Fellows program offers aspiring K-12 teachers a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training at a KIPP NYC school. Individuals are paired with a high-performing KIPP teacher who serves as a mentor and advisor for the entire school year. Additionally, Empire Fellows receive extensive training through Relay GSE, allowing for a structured, supportive and more sustainable on-ramp into the teaching profession. Upon successful completion of the residency year, our goal is for every Empire Fellow to be hired as a full-time teacher in their second year at a KIPP NYC school while completing their Master in the Art of Teaching (MAT) degree. This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path but who do not have any full-time teaching experience yet.
- High level of organization and professionalism.
- Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher (if currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2019).
- Zest, grit, hope, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor.
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture.
- Openness to feedback and willingness to constantly reflect, improve and learn.
- Desire and commitment to teach in an Elementary, Middle and High School setting for at least three years after the first year of the residency.
- Commitment to obtaining a NYS Trans B Teaching Certificate by the midpoint in the Fellowship Year (by January 2020).
Empire Fellows will assume the same schedule as a full-time KIPP NYC teacher. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching.
- Providing individual or small group instruction for students.
- Leading or co-facilitating an advisory.
- Committing to constant professional and personal growth through working closely with a team of teachers.
- Constantly assessing student progress, and communicating results to families and colleagues.
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
We are pleased to announce our priority deadlines for the ’19 Empire Fellow Cohort.
- Round 1: Thursday, January 3, 2019
- Round 2: Monday, February 25, 2019
- Round 3: Monday, March 25, 2019
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis leading up to each deadline and qualified applicants will be invited to complete an online video interview. Upon reviewing video interviews, we will invite finalists to interview in-person. In-person interviews are typically held 2-3 weeks after the priority deadline.
Explore Careers at KIPP
Check out all available teaching, support, and administrative roles available at KIPP NYC.